This blog is focused on sharing experiences, starting with mine, on the relationship challenges associated with a spouse or fiance immigrating to the US along with the interesting process of developing and sustaining an inter-cultural relationship. I am the US citizen and my inter-cultural relationship is with a Ghanaian man - so most of the discussion involves similar relationships. However, the blog is open to hearing experiences of any relationship that is relevant to the topics posted.

Send topic suggestions to me at visajourneyghana@gmail.com.

Learning to follow God's lead!

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Returning the love to Ghana

Greetings My Dear Sweet Sisters,

Have you ever given thought to what we have done to our beautiful Ghana that we love so much when we remove one of its strongest trees - our men? Of course the removal was not done out of maliciousness - for we would never do anything to intentionally harm our beautiful Ghana whom we love so much. We were not alone in the process of our removal - for the tree embraced us and God blessed us. But, do you ever think about what affect this removal has on the foundation of Ghana or how the sisters in Ghana may feel to see another one of  their trees, with branches that can support and comfort them, become uprooted and non-replaced. We have seen the affects the removal and non-replacement of trees have had on forests around the world. No offense to my Caucasian sisters, but, I know how the African American sisters feel every time one of our strong trees lands in the yard of another "white girl".

So why do I think this is a relevant topic? Am I not also a tree remover which I have celebrated over and over again in this blog and in any other situation where someone will listen to me swooning over my beloved husband Ibrahim? I know that a big advantage of our husbands joining us in the US is the opportunity to  achieve and sustain a stronger economic situation that will position them to support both their family in the US along with their family in Ghana.  Hopefully, their successes with be helping some new seeds to grow and thrive in Ghana. But what about us, my sisters, what are we going to do to replace replace the tree that we have up-rooted?

Today I had a spiritually enriching experience that brought me back to my original purpose for visiting Ghana. I was blessed with an opportunity to be in the presence of about 10 spiritually enlightened women who were gathered for the purpose of discovering what more God wanted from them in their service of Him. In our society we would view these women as successful for each was thriving in a professional career that could only have occurred through years of education. One sister was a Clinical Psychologist, most were health care professionals and just about all of them were educated as ministers. The home where the meeting took place belonged to two of the women who were cousins. Their home had to be upward of 3000 square feet - just gorgeous. These women were humble in their economic accomplishments in the world. But they were vocal and proud in their spiritual relationship with God. Their voices were strong and clear as they spoke their testimonies. When they sang it was like heaven had truly anointed their voices with the power of angels. It was in the midst of their singing that God reminded me of my purpose for visiting Ghana by sending me a visual  reminder of what I saw in Ghana. As I listened to the angelic voices that graced the beautiful home where we met, I realized what I was a witness to in Ghana. I met and saw women whose voices were silenced because they were women. My reference to voice means living a life within your passion that has been revealed and is thriving.

I remember seeing so many women working what seemed to be 7 days a week from sun up to sun down - some with their babies on their backs. I am not referring to the rural areas - this is in the city of Accra. Their faces seemed warn with the realities of their life - their lips appeared closed tightly in a non-smiling manner. I remember seeing some of the same ladies late at night sleeping with their children in some of the most obscure places. I remember the young and older women in the house where I stayed - they seemed to work from sun up to sun down without a moment spent on joy. I couldn't wait for the day I was able to take them out on a shopping excursion. Even then they worked as the big strong men who accompanied us would turn over the bags with my purchases to these small but strong women to carry - now you know I corrected that situation immediately - no offense to the cultures, just some things I couldn't sit back and watch. I saw hard working, industrious women managing their own businesses - but still they seemed to have no voice. I remember one night waking up abruptly from the sounds of a thunder storm. The storm outside woke me up, but, it was the memory of my beautiful black sisters I saw over the last day that was tugging at my heart - and I wept while  sitting in the safe comfort of my room in the loving home where I stayed during my 2 week vacation.


I must add that I also saw and met women who did have a voice. I met two dynamic Ghanaian women who created and managed successful schools. I established a strong bond with another sister who had a dress making business managed in her home and to my joy upon my second visit I found her in her own dress shop. One of my sister-in-laws is in the military studying to be a doctor. But even these women at times find their voices quieted in the presence of men.

Several times in this blog I have mentioned my purpose for my initial travel to Ghana in 2008. That purpose was to understand what life was like for my sisters in Ghana. My vacation was scheduled for two weeks. I have already told you about my second week - God presented me with and to Ibrahim - the man who was to be and now is my husband.  You now have a glimpse into my second week.

If you haven't figured out yet, my tree replacement act that I would like to fulfill is being an active participant in the process of helping one or more women in Ghana find their voice and the confidence to share it with the beautiful angelic fervor of the women I met today.  Ghana has very bright future ahead as a potentially fast developing country from an economic perspective. More and more businesses are becoming interested in Ghana - I want my sisters in Ghana to be ready for the day ahead of them, not left behind. I don't know how or when but this is my commitment to my sisters I have met and left behind in Ghana. I begin with praying that their voices are revealed and that the men in Ghana who understand the need for this voice to be heard provide them with the encouragement and support needed to carry that voice far and wide.

What are you going to do to enrich Ghana after Ghana has given so much to you?

6 comments:

  1. My path has not been revealed to me yet... I look to God to show me where and how I will return the love... God has brought my husband and I together (He blessed me with the best gift of all LOVE) and I know I have a future "gift" to share I am just not sure how He will have it all come to be at this time. But my heart is both here in the US and in Ghana. I am excited to see what God has planned for me and my husband in our life together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen my sister. We know that it all begins with prayer. I still have not yet been fully made aware of exactly how I am to return my love to Ghana. But it is something when you can feel that you have a future "gift" and it has not yet been revealed. Don't know if it is a small thing (based on man's scale - God's scale is different) or to be a support to the work of another. Just like the visa process - all things in His time. As I am praying, I will keep you in prayer that you continue to remain mindful of your future "gift" to Ghana and that you are able to fulfill your mission as God has directed you to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I married into my wonderful, beautiful Ghanaian family, I became a part of something so much bigger than I ever imagined. I now stand proudly among a family with enormously rich ancestry and culture, a legacy of royalty and wealth far beyond the monetary sense.

    By no means am I demeaning my American family, but we not discussing that particular side of who we now are as the wives of GH's Finest.

    The love and passion I feel while being present in Ghana is like nothing I have experienced. Sugar Baby discussed the profound work ethic many of us paid witness to while in Ghana. My perspective on it, however, was somewhat different. Yes, the extreme hardship was apparent and unmistakable, but so often, I saw smiles upon beautiful black faces of both men and women who work harder in one day than many folks do in one week or one month and who make little change to show for their undying efforts. In their eyes I saw a pride that made me envious and slightly ashamed because I come from a culture that takes too much for granted and paves an easy path for too many who, honestly, make laziness and greed their purpose while......in Ghana, your "family" is not JUST your family and nobody rests until their family, friends and neighbors are all fed. I saw beauty in the soul of the truest, yet finest ghetto. Upon my return to the states, I paid more attention to the men and women in business suits crossing the neat and tidy streets of my suburban city or preparing to climb into their shiny BMW, Hummer or Lincoln with frowns of dissatisfaction, discontent and misery written on their silent, ungrateful faces and I felt saddened for them. I swore then that I would forever be humble and NEVER believe the suffering I endure is in vain.

    When I left Ghana, it was my hope to become part of the effort initiated by one of my beautiful, new cousins. Some years back, she single-handedly started a foundation for the poor youth and orphans in Nima. She set up educational programs, provided clothing, food--you name it, she did it! She had a nice, modest building and developed staffing to assist her. Part of her years, she spent in New York where she was always working to fulfill the necessities for the ghetto youth of Nima bringing back clothing and other things from the states to the youngsters. She was an amazing young woman. She died suddenly, however, last year. Her legacy remains and the great people of Nima have tried to keep her legacy flowing. It was my hope to work with her to keep the clothing and supplies in abundance, but she passed away before we could finalize a plan. Some day, I hope to find a company or group who maybe interested in funding the shipping costs to get needed items to my home in Ghana....Nima--the place I call the truest and finest ghetto.

    ....continued.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. >>>continuation......(my post was apparently too long-sorry)

    My husband has a dream of opening schools and daycare centers and to his dream, I have added my desire to bring updated, medical treatment and procedure education to Ghana's medical providers. By US standards, we are poor, but you need not a dime to dream and need but one grand step to set those dreams in motion.

    My husband is an artist, a musician in Ghana, so he already has a good platform once we are able to REALLY cement our ideas into a plan of action. If we can accomplish even ONE of the many things we would like to do, it is the essence of paying it forward--as we all should.

    ME? I'll set out someday to change the face of GH's immigration "system". My kryptonite is my King--so with him, I am fearless, untouchable and capable of ALL things!!

    For now, my husband and I work together to make sure our family is okay. We live clean, simple, humble, modest, true, pure and honest. We strive to keep our unity strong so we may pass our strength onto our loved ones and attempt to complete any empty spaces we encounter.

    As Big Mama in the movie 'Soul Food' said, "One finger won't make an impact, but you ball all those fingers into a fist, and you can strike a mighty blow."

    Now.....THAT's what I'm talkin' about!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SINCE we are (or I am) on the subject......


    BIG UPS to my BEAUTIFUL NIMA!!! I LOVE n' MISS YOU SOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!! U know me---M.O.B.'s wife! One Love.

    MMMMMUUUUUAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!

    Had to get that out there! ;~P

    ReplyDelete
  6. To BADSM- That's what I'm talking about!. I feel you on Nima. I saw what you saw and I agree with you. Your plan has be stated and so it shall be done. I too believe in the philosophy of Pay It Forward.

    I hope you will stay in touch and let us know how you are progressing with your plan - I understand it may be a distance away. You never know, when you are ready there may be some connections and resources we can share. If you are interested in being connected with on facebook (unless we are already connected) send me an email at visajourneyghana@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete