This blog is focused on sharing experiences, starting with mine, on the relationship challenges associated with a spouse or fiance immigrating to the US along with the interesting process of developing and sustaining an inter-cultural relationship. I am the US citizen and my inter-cultural relationship is with a Ghanaian man - so most of the discussion involves similar relationships. However, the blog is open to hearing experiences of any relationship that is relevant to the topics posted.

Send topic suggestions to me at visajourneyghana@gmail.com.

Learning to follow God's lead!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ghanaian Men Enslaved by American Wives?

Sisters, did you know that there is a rumor going around Ghana that we are treating our Ghanaian husbands as slaves? Before you get pissed off, lets explore the situation.

I have already made sure my husband knows when he gets here that I will be expecting him to share in the management of our household which includes cooking, cleaning the bathrooms, cleaning the kitchen, straightening up the living room and guest room, vacuuming, dusting, washing dishes, washing floors, washing clothes, ironing clothes, folding clothes, organizing, changing light bulbs, taking out the trash, paying bills, coordinating the routine car maintenance, possibly painting walls, hanging pictures, grocery shopping and whatever else I forgot to mention. If we had a yard his work would also involve maintenance of the yard, snow removal, and raking leaves. Just in case he didn't fully understand what his role would be, I made sure that he understood that in the US if someone is unemployed (which he will probably be for a month or more) they are responsible for managing the home while the other spouse works. When both spouses are working, we figure out how to share the responsibilities based on each others work schedule.

Am I the only one who has had this conversation or even considered having this conversation with their husband or fiance? Doesn't this list sound like a job description?

Ok sisters - we have all visited Ghana. Question - from what you observed while there, who was responsible for these household tasks in Ghana? What roles did you see men play in Ghana versus women versus paid domestic help?

Keeping it real, I want to believe that most of us would not really expect our husbands to do all the things listed above just because they are not working - but, keeping it real, we will expect some of it to be done. Ibrahim's response to me when I told him what I expected him to contribute to the housework was that he planned to do what can to help manage our household. He said he knows things are different in the US as it relates to the role men play in managing the household.  (He's so brave and he definitely knows what to say to keep me from arguing with him. LOL!)

Now I know he is capable of doing everything on the list - might need a little training in a few of the times. But, what are we really talking about here? Is the issue whether or not they can do or will do it? No - neither one is the issue. The issue is what are they accustomed to doing. More specifically, are the things we may be expecting them to do counter to the role they have been conditioned to believe men play in a home? Only you can answer that question after discussing it with your husband. I'm not talking about giving them an excuse to not contribute at a fair level towards the management of the home. I'm talking about understanding the cultural transition we may be expecting them to just do without hesitation or question because it makes sense to us and it is what we do in the US - please don't say: but they are in the US now and not Ghana!

Here's another point - if they have never performed some of the household tasks you are expecting them to assist you with, how can you expect them to perform it to your liking without you teaching them what to do? Example - If you have never seen your husband use a microwave, don't assume he knows to not put aluminum or other metallic food containers in the micro-wave. You already know how wise and smart your man is - but, just like you - he doesn't know everything. Whatever you do, don't treat or talk to him like he is a child! Be patient and gradually introduce him to the various tasks around the house. Don't expect him to clean as you clean or to initiate the cleaning of the things you know should be cleaned. Find out which tasks he might be more comfortable doing than others. Talk about these things before he gets here. When he arrives, be patient by allowing him some space to get the "lay of the land". Don't expect him to spend his transition time cleaning the home everyday. I know if I were Ghanaian man who just arrived to the states and I am immediately hit with a long list of chores and responsibilities that I may not have had in Ghana, I would probably feel like a slave too! I hope Ibrahim hasn't changed his mind about coming to America - I think I need to rethink my conversation I had with him about what I expect.

Here's a perspective for my brothers - listen to my typical week day. I am up around 6 or 6:30 (sometimes earlier) and I am off to work anywhere between 7:30 - 8:30. My time in the office can last anywhere from 8- 10 (sometimes 12) hours per day. Sometimes I bring more work home to be completed during the night or early morning hours. You can believe that when I get home from work, I am not thinking about doing a lot or any housework - sometimes that includes cooking. I am tired as a slave who was working in the field all day under the hot sun - wait a minute, that's a bit of a stretch! Just know that after working a day as I described does not leave much energy for a night of housework. Guess what, when Ibrahim starts working and going to school his days will probably be as long - if not longer than my days. We are going to need to collaborate on a plan for maintaining the household.  As I should not expect you to perform as full time maid you can't expect to leave it all up to me. Most of us don't use maid service - far more expensive in the US than Ghana. Remember, by the time you get here, some of us will be quite financially broke after supporting the visa process, visiting Ghana, and paying for all those long distance calls. Most of us don't have our momma's living with nor are our momma's expecting to come to our home to cook and clean for us.

I did a little searching on the net for websites that might be helpful in the process of planning and learning how to manage a household. Check them out:


http://www.money-zine.com/Financial-Planning/Debt-Consolidation/Household-Budget-Basics/

http://cleaning.lovetoknow.com/Weekly_Checklist_for_House_Cleaning

http://www.wikihow.com/Cut-the-Grass

http://www.ehow.com/housekeeping/


In closing I say take the shackles off your man and create a collaborative partnership! Holla!

10 comments:

  1. OKay girl I got you but my hubby has lived on his own and has had to do work, school and clean an where he lived the outside chores might have been shared but all the others were his to do. So he says he coming to take over the family as the man of the house and he is... And even though there are many changes he will have to get used to, I won't expect him to do everythng all his self, like you it is a shared task and things are different done here in the states so he will need some extra help learning how things are done here. But when we are in Ghana together we do it all together we clean, washed clothes by hand side by side and did all that needed to be done. So I dont think they are treated as slaves but will take they responsibilites here as serious as they have there. My husband often tells me he is going to love taking away some of my responisbilities. I think it is something you just work out together like everything else. We've talked it over.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew that was a rumor. :-0
    My fiance is a very independent man and is use managing all his domestic needs. All you listed above he is accustomed to doing. I dont think any mature man would not feel like a slave to help do things around the home. Especially under the circumstances. Most will not be able to work for months like you mention so why not help around the home?
    When I tell my fiance Iam about to iron my clothes , shovel snow, wash my car etc. He responds by saying, "I would do all those things for you" He look at it as an honor to help me. When I visited in Ghana he beg me to things I was willing to do for myself. He was honored to cook, wash my clothes and iron for me. If I attempted to iron my clothes he would grab them up so fast.
    I do agree that we need to watch our tones because the way you talk to them can make them feel like they are being belittle as a slave. If you show them you appreciate what they are doing to help they would less likely feel like they are being force to do it. I am sure everyone background may be different and they were not use to doing some household chores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. to quote Sheree... "I do agree that we need to watch our tones because the way you talk to them can make them feel like they are being belittle as a slave. If you show them you appreciate what they are doing to help they would less likely feel like they are being force to do it."

    That being said I think it is a matter of talking it out having a plan and not talking to them in a matter that is belittling to the love of our lives! I talked to my husband about this situation and I asked that we make sure we communicate our feelings and needs to each other that we grow together that I will never want him to feel this way. But I do think we need to be mindful of what can happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you my sisters! I am making a list:

    1. Be mindful of your tone
    2. Communicate, communicate, communicate
    3. Appreciate
    4. Don't Assume
    5. Understanding
    6. Be Patience

    If you were wondering, this list is for both parties in the relationship. If you know of other sisters in our situation, please share this blog topic with them. To my brothers who are concerned about this issue - discuss it with your wife/fiance.

    The Real Wives have spoken - let's stop this rumor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, well being that my husband is here with me in the states now for 9 months I have a different view. I work and he is home all day. When I come home he goes to school, the gym, and home very late. Then we say good night and go to sleep. He is accustomed to keeping his own clothes washed and out room clean. He takes out the garbage twice a week. When he first got here he also did dishes for the family but that was too much for him to handle so now he just cares for his own dishes. As for anything else around the house I have to ask him to do it. Nothing is automatically taken care of. He has cleaned my car, inside and out, pulled the weeds in the yard and cleaned up the yard and porch. He doesn't mind doing things for me but I have to ask him to do it as it is not his custom in his home and his family to do domestic chores. And as I have 4 kids there is a lot of conflict there as well. Your husbands will help you with the chores if you ask and will do it happily but don't expect them to know automatically what to do or how to do it. It takes time and it can be very frustrating in the mean time. This is definitely a topic I wish we would have addressed much further before he came here..... Good luck to you all and so looking forward to more helpful blogs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenabee, I am so happy that you have posted your comment. Your perspective is so needed here since you are where many of us are hoping to be soon - living with our husbands. Your perspective is needed for both us wives and our husbands. I look forward to hearing more from you. A friend wrote to me and said that people have to find their own way, they shouldn't be looking at what has happened in the relationships of others to determine what to do in their relationship. I sort of agree. However, what I have come to learn is that sometimes we don't know where to begin our discussions with our partner. Many people have said to me that the blog topics have provided a platform for the beginning of discussions with their partners - not to compare their lives with my life. The experiences we have with our partners are unique, but, what I am learning is that the topics are not necessarily unique. I believe if you approach it from that perspective - finding the topics that are relevant to your relationship not the specifics of my life - then you will be fine in your discussion with your spouse.

    Somebody else asked me if I was afraid or concerned about sharing my personal business with strangers. The answer is no. I felt moved to share my experiences whether they be good or bad. I will never know the full impact of this blog on the lives of those who read it because it is not for me to know. I am not afraid because I know that I am protected just as I believe those who have also chosen to share on this blog are protected - you all know what I mean about that. If your life experience can be a blessing to someone else why would you not share it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let me add on one more thing to Jenabee's comment. Several other women whose husbands have arrived to the states have told me that their husbands also do not automatically volunteer to do work but will do it if you ask them to do it. I can see how this would become frustrating for a woman who is hoping her husband will readily share in the housework. I can also see how a man who is not accustomed to the type of chores needed in your home may become frustrated when you keep asking him to do another chore. This is what we are talking about when we mention the word "adjustment" - so much needs to be discussed in advanced and reevaluated later. Of course it is a good idea to have some agreed upon chores in the house - but, remember what you have read here. If the two of you agree on chores he may not readily realize that you are expecting him to do other things. It seems to me that the discussion needs to include what type of order you both would like to sustain in the house then coming to an agreement that everyone is ultimately responsible for making sure the order exists. From there you can begin to assign chores to each other, with a discussion that if more is needed the expectations is that either one of you will chip in to make it happen. Wives can lead by example by occasionally helping our husbands with their assigned chores just to give them a break. The right man will pick up on your action and will probably return the favor.

    We are talking about changing behaviors and habits for both partners. Change isn't easy and doesn't happen over night. We all fall back to what we are familiar with and accustomed to. To help you understand this, try this exercise:

    Find a room in your house that you frequent and that has a trash can in it - like your bathroom. Move the trashcan to another spot in the room for a week. Now observe how many times you look for that trashcan in the place where it has been located for years. This is an example of we sometimes respond to change by going back to the familiar.

    Patience, patience, understanding, encouragement, appreciation, recognition, and more patience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My fiane arrived yeserday and so far we have cooked and guess what? He has already came in helping. As I put a dish in the sink he is washing them and his has taken the trash out without me asking. It all stem back from their upbringing. For some it will take some time, understanding and patience for those who spouse/fiance are not use to doing the domestic thing. Sheree

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Sheree! So glad to hear he has arrived safely and the two of you have begun the process of cohabitation. You have now moved to the point many of us are waiting to get to. I hope you will share your tips with us as you begin to settle into your new wonderful life.May you continue to be aware of God's abundant blessings on you and your future husband. Sending you some love girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In the beginning my husband help a lot with chores. Now, he will cook - sometimes, wash dishes - sometimes, takes the trash out weekly, but anything else you have to ask. Before he would ask me what I wanted him to do. He is not grabbing dishes from the sink like I mention in my post above. LOL! It all good, at least he help sometimes and he is a awesome father. Sheree

    ReplyDelete