This blog is focused on sharing experiences, starting with mine, on the relationship challenges associated with a spouse or fiance immigrating to the US along with the interesting process of developing and sustaining an inter-cultural relationship. I am the US citizen and my inter-cultural relationship is with a Ghanaian man - so most of the discussion involves similar relationships. However, the blog is open to hearing experiences of any relationship that is relevant to the topics posted.

Send topic suggestions to me at visajourneyghana@gmail.com.

Learning to follow God's lead!

Monday, April 18, 2011

My Last Post - The End of this Blog!

Well, this is the last post I expect to make in this blog. The last 2 months have been very interesting and I must say I have learned a lot as I shared a lot of my relationship.

To my sisters and brothers going through the visa process as either the petitioner or the beneficiary I wish you the very best. I pray that your love is real and strong enough to survive this journey that God has laid before you. I pray that you use the separation time to continue to prepare yourself for the one you have chosen and accepted to be your life partner. If I have learned nothing else through this short blog journey, I have learned that taking the time to really understand my SO is absolutely critical to my achieving the great relationship I so deserve. It is also important for me to be forthcoming to help him understand who I am and what is important to me. I see what happens when we hang on to small insignificant things that are not even real - i.e. worrying about women he has yet to meet. I have enough real issues to deal with in my life than to add on things that haven't occurred. I have learned to appreciate the love in front of me today - love in the moment, fear not the future, for the future will only be another moment for me to love more. As for the whole culture thing and differences - learn, understand, respect but then decide if what has been presented is really for me - I always have a choice and I don't have to agree with all lifestyles - but, I must know what is critical and non-negotiable to me.

Be wise in your assessment of your SO especially as it relates to an international relationship. No one wants to believe it will happen to them, but, people are scammed and lied to daily just to get to the US or to get money from a kind loving person. To use someone's heart in this manner is to me the equivalent of a mortal sin. If you feel you are in one of these relationships, don't hate on yourself, use the knowledge to strengthen and learn about yourself - by all means get the hell out of the relationship! Ain't no shame is knowing and saying it didn't work - but shame on you for not loving you if you knew in your heart something wasn't right and you stayed anyway. If you don't feel you deserve better, than expect to get the worse. It will hurt very bad to walk away - but it will hurt even worse if you stay. For those liars and scammers - do know that when you hurt one of God's children who have given you their heart there will be a major price to pay one day.  Like we always say - God don't like ugly!

Finally, what would my advice be for someone considering this type of relationship - get ready for the ride of a lifetime; what ever part of you is not strong will either strengthen or destroy the relationship; forget what you thought you knew about love because you are about to have one of the toughest studies in love that you may ever face and if you are successful you will be well prepared to step into the rest of the journey with confidence - but the risk of failure is extremely high because as someone else said on this blog - this journey is not for the faint of heart!

I am moving on to a new blog just for women in the near future. If you are interested in being notified when that blog starts, send me an email to visajourneyghana@mail.com and I will be sure to invite you to the new blog when it is ready.

I thank you all for sharing a part of yourself with me and others. May you continue to be aware of all the blessings God bestows upon you every day!

1 comment:

  1. I'm thankful for all the sharing done here and all that each of us got to lean. I think many of us have grown and become stronger for it. I'm sorry that it will be over and I will miss it. But thanks so much cause I have learned alot and grown stronger through it all...

    ReplyDelete