This blog is focused on sharing experiences, starting with mine, on the relationship challenges associated with a spouse or fiance immigrating to the US along with the interesting process of developing and sustaining an inter-cultural relationship. I am the US citizen and my inter-cultural relationship is with a Ghanaian man - so most of the discussion involves similar relationships. However, the blog is open to hearing experiences of any relationship that is relevant to the topics posted.

Send topic suggestions to me at visajourneyghana@gmail.com.

Learning to follow God's lead!

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Women, Be Silent!

This topic is just for the men - it's really for both. I am inviting any male in a relationship with a woman in the US to leave us a message on anything you have been wanting to say, ask, concerned about, or want to compliment us on. My sisters, we always have a lot to say - we can talk ourselves to death - evident by my ability to find a topic or two to post everyday on this blog for the last week. What we are missing is hearing from our men. With that in mind, I am begging the men to post any comment they want to post, be respectful please. I am asking the women to not react on the blog to any of the comments under this topic. What I encourage the women to do is to just read the comments, think about them, then find a productive manner to explorer the comments with your husband in an effort to help you learn more about what is important to him. Don't ask your husband if he wrote the comment. Just explore it with him. Feel free to send me a personal email if you want to brainstorm ideas on how to explore the topics with your husband.

Now, can we please hear from the men?

5 comments:

  1. Sorry my sisters - looks like the men have chosen to remain silent. However, if you and your man have increased your conversations as a result of this blog then all is good. That is the ultimate goal - keeping the conversation between you and him. It was never the intent of this blog that you publicize your business. Just hoping to hear a few words of wisdom from the brothers for those sisters who are struggling in conversing with their man. But, I am choosing to think positive - and some of you have told me that you have used the topics as point of discussion with your man. It's all good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to new topics to discuss. Defintiely have brought some interesting coversations between my man and I. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My man is a man of very few words and is not a writer so this might have been a little intimidating to him to just write a comment withour structured questions etc... but it has given us things to talk about and things for me to think about and different ways to deal with situations! Please keep it going! I did talk to my husband about the topic of women changing once they (the men) get here and he said that he has heard that the men are treated like slaves when they get here so my suggestion would be to maybe give them room and time to adjust and share in what needs to get done around the house so that not just 1 person gets stuck doing it all (or feels that way). I must say that open communication will be key when he gets here to make sure he does not feel that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Men treated as slaves" - yes, I have heard that one several times. I thinking about doing a topic on that statement next. I believe we need to take the time to explore what is going on that is making some men feel this way.

    I appreciate your encouragement and I will keep this going as long as I can think of topics or receive suggestions for topics. I know that far more people are reading the blog than is represented by the number who add comments. As long as I know it is of value to anyone I will do my best to keep it going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband is not like men here they are loud and can be very rude my Ghanaian husband is very considerate and understanding but I sit in silence and let him have his say and he does the same for me. So as for that we have an equal respect for each other and I think it is needed in all relationships to hear each other out before decisions are made and just enjoy having theat special man to share your life, dreams, future and hope with...........But my husband doesn't have much to say on topics We do discuss the ones here and he thinks it is great but he hasn't had the time to come here or the link working properly either but I have read many things from him to him and we have discussed so much. So he is also appreciating that I have here to come and gain support and different aspects and he is learning alot from these topics also. So we are very thankful for this outlet together.....Sincerely Heather and Andrew Maunger....

    ReplyDelete