This blog is focused on sharing experiences, starting with mine, on the relationship challenges associated with a spouse or fiance immigrating to the US along with the interesting process of developing and sustaining an inter-cultural relationship. I am the US citizen and my inter-cultural relationship is with a Ghanaian man - so most of the discussion involves similar relationships. However, the blog is open to hearing experiences of any relationship that is relevant to the topics posted.

Send topic suggestions to me at visajourneyghana@gmail.com.

Learning to follow God's lead!

Monday, March 21, 2011

God Bless the Child or Children

Considering the fact that my children are probably as old as or older than some of the people who read my blog, the issue of bringing a family together that includes children of one the spouses is not an issue I have to really deal with. Sort of not deal with. I know that my two grown babies and my husband will need to find their way in a relationship unique to them, but, I can't imagine the possible challenges that may have existed if they were younger. I don't really know for sure how involved Ghanaian parents are with their children beyond the strong discipline level that was quite evident and impressive - reminded me of my childhood when children were seen and not heard. When children didn't participate in "grown folk" conversations. Ibrahim and I have had some discussions about the possibility of us bringing a young child into our marriage and I have share with him what parent life is like in the US. Just remembering those days when my grown babies were kids brings back both memories of joy and a lot of tired bones - my bones! Here's a view of how my life was when my babies were really babies.

With their Father

My kids were fortunate through the first half of their childhood because they had the benefit of both a mom and dad living at home with them. Still - life was very hectic! Their father's job was as busy and time consuming as mine was and still is. It was not unusual for either of us to work past an 8 hour day, sometimes bringing work home, and maybe working on the weekends. I would say on average, per year, we both worked 50 hours or more a week - and we were not paid for overtime hours! Oh yeah - almost forgot, we had two kids to take care of during our long 100 hours of work each week. I am going to talk about life past the diapers and milk years - that time period is a novel all to itself.

Once they were both in school our mornings started out with me getting up first and preparing breakfast for the kids. Then the kids got up and I would make sure they were washed (they bathed at night - thank God) and dressed. While I combed my daughter's hair, their father prepared lunch and made sure book bags were ready. Somewhere in between getting them ready we found time to bathe ourselves, brush our teeth, and get dressed - maybe eat breakfast. At that time we only had one car so everybody piled into the one car and all the drop offs were made. We had to put the kids into after school care program because neither of us could leave work early enough to pick them up when school was over. Now after school care didn't play - you better get there before the end of the care period usually around 5:30 or you were going to be pay extra for every 5 minutes you were late.  Twice a week one of them had an additional activity after 5:30 - karate class or Girl Scouts or something else. God forbid the events were on the same day at different locations. On a normal day we were probably all home by 6:30 - now somebody needed to make dinner. Their father and I would share in this responsibility - whomever had the most energy would prepare the dinner. As my job began to get busier and busier, their father eventually took over fixing dinner while I helped them with their homework while trying to do my homework from my job. By the time dinner was prepared it was almost time to begin preparation for the next day which included ensuring that all homework was completed, all school papers signed by me or their father, their baths were taken, and their clothes were ironed. We would do what we could do to squeeze in some quality time with the kids - you know, doing the stuff you were looking forward to doing as a parent - enjoying your kid. Then the weekend came - woo hoo! Housework, housework, and more housework. Running the kids to play dates with their friends or another scheduled extracurricular activity and again trying to squeeze in family time for everybody. Sunday was clothes washing day and there were always a lot of clothes to be washed, dried, folded or ironed, then put away. Sunday was usually the best day for finding family time together.  Hmmm - I haven't said a thing about finding time for me and their father (my ex-husband). Now why did we divorce? I digress.

Just me as a single mom

Let's just put it this way, everything I said was handled above between two parents fell totally on me when I became a signal mom. Actually, it increased because spending time with them became even more important so that I could stay close to them emotionally while they both went through the terrible teen years. Their extra-curricular interest changed to events that sometimes involved everyday after school activities such as when my daughter was involved with drama programs in high school. She had practice every day when there was a need to prepare for an upcoming show. By this time we had a computer and they were on the internet - horrible time trying to keep up with what they were doing on the net - and I did intercept a couple of not so good situations. Not only was I trying to teach my daughter how to be a lady, I was left with the unfair to my son task of helping him explore what it means to be a man. Unfair because I believe it takes a man to teach a boy how to be a man - I focused on helping him define values that would make him proud to be a man.

The world had changed in the US whereas children could no longer be viewed as "seen and not heard". If you lost contact with your children you may have been at risk for loosing your child to some of the evils of the world - ok, so everything isn't always the best in the US - name a place where it is always the best. Here I was raising two children, working a full time busy job, and trying to finish up some of my education. As for a social life - few and far between.

Back to the point of the blog - I can't even imagine how I would handle all the things that I needed to handle as a single mom while helping my new husband assimilate into his new role in our family while he works to find his place in his new home and with me trying to do what I can to make it easy for him and minimize the impact of his presence on my children. WHEW! I should have entitled this one God bless the Parent who is trying to make all this happen!

Ibrahim and I are not even sure if we are going to be able to manage having a child in the busy life we plan to have together. If we do, I still think it will be a lot easier than for those of you who are blending a family. One thing we have agreed to is that it must be a shared responsibility to raise a child if we have one which means he must be involved in ways differently than how many men in Ghana are involved since, just like my first marriage, we both have to work and we will both probably be in school.

God Bless you all!

4 comments:

  1. Whoah! All you said has scared me! I may have to rethink having babbies! Just kidding. I welcome having a new life in mine. Sounds like a biggg responsibility and teamwork. Sheree

    ReplyDelete
  2. We keep coming back to that word "teamwork" - definitely a key. Also, don't miss the point that I didn't dedicate enough time to giving my ex-husband the attention he needed. I'm not taking full responsibility for our divorce. However, I need to own my part and use this knowledge to do a better job in my current marriage. When you have children, that once a month date idea is not a bad idea. The date day or night is just time for you and your spouse to reconnect to each other. I think you need to add in a date night just for you to keep you grounded in what you need. I was 21 when I married the first time and my first child was born when I was 25. Bottom line is that I was still trying to figure out what it meant to be an adult myself at that time. I am hoping my experience, especially the things that didn't work so well, will bring food for thought to other relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I did catch the dedicating time to your husband. I have heard many times that is one of the issues that can cause problems in a marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you posted this blog. This is definitively a topic that needs much discussion before our husbands/fiances get to the USA because our cultural differences and expectations on the subject are very different. And it is a subject that really has to be revisited and discussed on a regular basis. I wish my husband and I had addressed this in more detail before he got here because we may have been able to avoid a lot of heartache in this area. Let me just say that blending families is difficult in any culture. I wish I had known how hard it really would be. I had unrealistic expectations of my husband in this area. I expected "super dad" without even talking about our own upbringing, our beliefs and standards for raising children. Being that we were raised in 2 different cultures our concepts of raising children are very different. I guess I kind of expected him to automatically adapt to MY image of family life and what that would be. I mean he had spent many hours talking to the kids online, on the phone, webcam.... trying to get to know them and advise them in their lives. I had this happy little family image in my mind but that is not what happened. When you have children from another marriage the new parent feels out of place. They may try to be the parent but they know in the back of their minds they are not the birth parent and can never take their place. My husband made it very clear to the children that was not his intention. He just wants to be as good of a step dad as he can be to them. And when a child tells the "step" parent your not my dad(or mom) it really does hurt because they are trying hard to fill a gap in the childs life. Sometimes I think if my children were younger it would be easier for my husband but with 3 teenagers and 1 pre-teen in the house they already have thoughts and ideas of their own and that "I know it all" attitude. Also, in this day and age we are taught that we have to take time out of our day to plan family events, opportunities to connect as a family so we can stay emotionally connected to our kids because if we lose sight of them they are going to end up in gangs, doing drugs, etc. So making family time is very important to me. Now in my husbands culture it is not so. The children come to the parents when they want time with them. They have to earn it through good behavior and often times have to "wait" until they are invited to have one on one time with the parents. If a kid gets into trouble in Ghana the kids have to figure things out on their own. And here... Well we run to our kids rescue... We take time out for them. So you can see how things are different. My kids are accustomed to me making time for them so they expect the same from him. He expects the opposite, he expects them to come to him. So its like he is still a stranger in our home to them..... They call me for everything, even if I am at work when he is in the same house. They don't check in with him after school like I have asked them too. He gets them out the door for school in the morning and it seems they always give him problems. Sometimes it makes me crazy and I don't know what to do except just keep on trying......

    ReplyDelete