This blog is focused on sharing experiences, starting with mine, on the relationship challenges associated with a spouse or fiance immigrating to the US along with the interesting process of developing and sustaining an inter-cultural relationship. I am the US citizen and my inter-cultural relationship is with a Ghanaian man - so most of the discussion involves similar relationships. However, the blog is open to hearing experiences of any relationship that is relevant to the topics posted.

Send topic suggestions to me at visajourneyghana@gmail.com.

Learning to follow God's lead!

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Growing through Separation

I have said it many times, this separation from my husband is more difficult than birthing a baby! The thing about having a baby is that you know that the glorious end of the journey will definitely happen in 9 months (give or take). When my husband and I started on our journey of love we just knew we would be living together within 6 months - hahahahahahahaha! We were so naive about this entire process.

You know it is kind of like life - if you knew exactly when you were going to die what would you do differently? I have thought about whether or not I would have pursued our relationship if I knew it would mean a 4 year separation. That's right - 4 Years!!!! We started on our visa journey path in 2008 and it looks like he won't have a visa interview until 2012. Back to my point - if I knew it would take 4 years would I have pursued the relationship? The answer is very easy - YES! Within 2 days I knew Ibrahim was the man I wanted to spend my remaining life with - without question. If I knew it would take us 4 years, the things I would have done differently relate to the saving of money and frequency of visiting him - there would have been more visits.

More important than whether or not I would do it again knowing the time it would take for us to get together is the fact that I would do it again because of how I have grown and, according to him, he has grown. Not everyone is as fortunate as we have been. Some don't make it through the first year. I'm not saying that we were struggle free in our relationship - it was the struggles that presented the opportunity for growth. We have had, and sometimes still do, our disagreements and silly misunderstandings. What was evident during those times was that we never had a thought about us having made a mistake coming together. We wanted our relationship to be different and better than any either of us have ever had. I started to see that we were developing healthy approaches in resolving our issues. I have never hung up on my husband - what!! I could tell when he was angry and he knew when I was pissed off - but, we would hang in there and work through it. Let me tell you something about my husband. He is the type of man who wants to deal with the issue, get it to the end, and then keep it moving. Now sisters, you know how most of us are - we need that thing to linger in our attitude for awhile. We are not as prone to letting it go so easily. I definitely struggled here for awhile. I finally was able to get to a point where I told my husband that I agree with his approach of getting it resolved then moving on, but, he needed to give me a few more minutes to get to the moving on part than he needed. Gradually, I have gotten better and better at this one. What helped me was the fact that I didn't want my husband to feel uncomfortable about me or our relationship at anytime. I wanted him to always have happy thoughts about me when we were not connected - so, I had to grow in this area quickly. Thank God I did - I am still nowhere as good at this technique as he is, but, I have far exceeded where I was when we first met.

When people hear that your husband lives almost 6000 miles away the first thing that comes to their mind is how are the two of you handling the absence of sex? You can just see their little minds working behind their eyes - wondering who I was using to fill in why my husband was not with me; who was "filling in the gaps" of his physical desires. LOL!!! Ok, I would be thinking the same thing if I was the one receiving this information from a friend - let's be real folks. Honestly, this may have been true of me in a past life - thank God that life is over!! So what is different this time around? There is nothing I can say to help you understand what exists between us that has kept our faith strong in the personal commitments we have made to each other. I am not going to try to convince you either - because the only way for you to fully understand what we have together is for you to be in our relationship - that ain't happening!

But, let me give you something that you might be able to relate to personally. Let me start off by saying that I feel my husband is the sexiest man alive - we have a very strong physically attraction and desire for each other. Check this out - the absence of physical contact has actually served to strengthen and create a relationship like none I have ever had - and I have had several really good ones. Think about it this way - how many times have you had an argument with the person you were in love with and it ended up in you making love - probably some of the best sex you have ever had. You've heard the saying "there is nothing like make up sex".  Now think about some of those times where you had "make up sex" and some time after the great sex (maybe an hour, maybe days, maybe weeks) the memory of the thing that made you angry, before the make up sex, came back to you and you realized that you had not resolved the issue - but you had some great sex. Hmmmm - let me think about this a minute - I'm in love, I get mad, we have great sex, issue still exists. Hmmmm. That's the vicious cycle we sometimes find ourselves in.

The great thing about not having physical contact at your immediate grasp is that, if you are the right couple, you find yourself talking a lot - a whole lot! I have always referred to it as having the conversations that usually don't happen when you can do the physical thing more often - sex can make us forget to talk about the important things. This may not be true for everyone - this is my truth.

Ibrahim and I have talked through some situations that I know I have encountered in past relationships and have usually ended up with me either walking away, hanging up the phone, definitely rolling my eyes and pouting, and then doing that thing women tend to do well - make him almost beg for some physical time with me so that when I give in he knows he had to earn it. What the heck??? How many relationships have I damaged with that nonsense approach? Sidebar discussion: If I enjoy making love with my husband, am I not cheating myself out of a good thing when I deprive him of his pleasure? Never making that mistake again in my life!

Now check this out - I realize that because of the major differences in our cultural background (including religion) I have been more patient and interested in getting to know who he is as a man. Here's what I learned about myself (I know I am not alone on this one) - when I was involved with a man whose culture was similar to mine I naturally expected that he understood certain things and should act a certain way. There is some truth in that, but, the similarities you share with a person doesn't tell you all that they are. Making that awful mistake of assuming (ass u me) closes the door to learning who he really is and what is important to him.

Being separated has given me the benefit of time to listen and learn (I ask a lot of questions - which has been an adjustment for more husband). Being with someone of a totally different culture than mine has made me want to fully understand and appreciate our differences. The lesson learned is that I should have used the same approach with any relationship - what have we missed out because we don't listen, we assume, we don't appreciate - we dictate.

I thank God everyday for this gift of time, for the love of my husband, and the wisdom to do the right things. Nobody said it would be easy and it isn't - but, worth it - what do you think?

4 comments:

  1. The thing that certain people will never understand is the genuine rapport and foundation that is built once the physical aspects of courtship are eliminated.

    I have NEVER known somebody so well nor allowed someone to know me as well, if not better, than I know myself.

    MY husband has challenged everything my past experiences ever taught me about this thing called "love". He has crept inside every corner and crevice of my being and truly knows me on a soulful level.

    The physical? Forget about it.....The physicality is taken to a whole new level because you go from making love with just your body to making love through every sense given to you by God Himself.

    When God created Adam, then gave to Adam, his Eve....His intentions were clear. He wanted them to live together in a beautiful garden in paradise for eternity. God created man and woman for a purpose. He breathed His Breath and His Word into them for a purpose and as far as I can tell....my husband and I have been given those same rights directly from God's Hands.

    What many people will never fathom is that TRUE love's love, devotion, adoration, that sent straight from Heaven kind of love; but IF you know it, then you know what I'm talking about. It makes anything and everything in between seem like nonsense.

    We grow stronger is our struggle and our distance because we have learned better that which is so vitally important and managed to free ourselves from those things which matter less.

    I remember.....Long before I was ever intimate with my husband, I used to tell him how I wanted to breathe his air. I remember the moment I recollected that statement and I didn't even remind him. I just brought my mouth close to his and it was like he just knew....our lips met, but not in a kiss. It was like....I closed my eyes and inhaled so deeply and at that very moment he exhaled and I swear, he breathed LIFE straight into my soul. Our lips parted in a smile because we both knew what had just occurred. Now, even though we are far apart, we find a sense of comfort in knowing with our every breath, we are breathing each others sweet air. He lives in me and I in him. There ain't a thing better than that.

    We built this kind of love across miles of land and sea. I will never forget where we've been, what we've been through and once this portion of our journey comes to pass, I will remain as humble as I am today, the perfect wife to her perfect Ghanaian Prince.

    (I've been reading and for this one, I just couldn't resist. Sugar Baby, your love n relationship is a beautiful thing. Stay blessed.)

    It's funny how whimsical-type emotion can bring poetry to an ordinary explanation of one person's love for another, how it brings beauty to things our eyes before this were blind to, how everything is sweeter and more lovely and every sense is compounded a trillion times because you want to remember every moment to its exact detail just so you can share it with your love.

    I have NEVER loved anything more than I love loving this man....who happens to be my husband. All I can say now is.....*sigh*...aaaaaahhhhhhhhh.

    Feel me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. BADSM, your words are poetically beautiful! I definitely Feel You! We, like so many others have experienced, and continue to experience, love the way it was intended.

    There are so many lessons we have all learned through this journey of love. My purpose in creating this blog was to provide a forum for those lessons to be shared with anyone interested. I believe we have a story that can not only be valuable to people in cross cultural long distance relationships, but for anyone considering such a relationship as well as anyone in any relationship.

    I'm sure you have read some of the other topics and you see that we are trying to be real with what we are experiencing - be it good, bad, or uncomfortable.

    Sometimes the message is simply inspirational as your message is. You described your love so elegantly in your comments regarding just wanting to breathe the air he breathes. Wow! Reminds me of an India Arie song called The Truth.

    My prayer for you is for your to continue to be aware of all the blessings that surround you and you continue to use them to strengthen your marriage.

    This one is for our husbands:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZwJqaeK9js

    "The Truth"
    by India Arie

    Let me tell you why I love him

    Cause he is the truth
    Said he is so real
    And I love the way that he makes me feel
    And if I am a reflection of him then I must be fly cause
    his light it shines so bright I wouldn't lie

    I remember the very first day that I saw him
    I found myself immediately intrigued by him
    Its almost like I knew this man from another life
    Like back then maybe I was his husband and maybe he was my wife
    And even, the things I don't like about him are fine with me
    Because its not hard for me to understand him because he's so much like me
    And its truly my pleasure to share his company
    And I know that it's God's gift to breathe the air he breathes

    How can the same man that makes me so mad
    -do you know what he did-[spoken]
    Turn right around and kiss me so soft
    -girl do you know what he did-[spoken]
    If he ever left me, I wouldn't even be sad, no
    Cause there's a blessing in every lesson
    And I'm glad that I knew him at all

    I love the way he speaks
    I love the way he thinks
    I love the way he treats his mama
    I love that gap in between his teeth
    I love him in every way that a woman can love a man from personal to universal but most of all its unconditional

    -you know what I'm talking about-[spoken]
    Thats the way I feel
    -and I always will-[spoken]

    There ain't no substitute for the truth
    either it is or isnt
    cause he is the truth
    you see the truth it, needs no proof
    either it is or it isnt
    Cause he is the truth
    Now you know the truth by the way it feels
    and if I am a reflection of him then I must be fly
    cause he is yes he is
    I wonder does he know

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah...I love it how music can speak the mind's heart. This song is beautiful and ironically enough, my baby's got a small gap between his front teeth. hahaha I must say, I love it tho', along with the rest of him.

    My husband is a musician in Ghana....(sorry, totally different subject matter) He's an artist, but he also appears in a lot of videos with other artists and/or does compilations with them. Being able to watch his videos is another way I can feel closer to him. Even though anyone can see the videos, it's only me who knows the true fluidity of his voice n his movements--plus I love to see that ring on his finger!! ;~P

    ReplyDelete
  4. You Ladies have said it so well I could not even really add a single word. I have the same things in common with you both and it is an amazing relationship and marriage. God has blessed us... And It is totally worth it... But only thing to add here is I was always told.. If is worth fighting for it will never come easy...

    ReplyDelete